×
In
CRIME
Texas

Karmelo Anthony’s bid for new trial over track meet stabbing denied

Aug. 23, 2026, 10:34 a.m. ET

A Texas judge has denied a request for a new trial for Karmelo Anthony, the teenager convicted of murder for killing a fellow student athlete at an April 2025 track meet.

Anthony, 19, was convicted and sentenced to 35 years in prison in June for the fatal stabbing of 17-year-old Austin Metcalf, in Frisco, north of Dallas. Prosecutors argued that Anthony initiated and quickly escalated the deadly confrontation while Anthony’s defense has maintained he acted in self-defense. The closely watched trial drew national attention and was marked by controversy, racial tensions and public demonstrations in support of both families.

After Anthony’s conviction, his new legal team filed a motion asking the court to grant him a new trial and remove the judge who presided over his murder trial from future proceedings for multiple reasons, including that prosecutors reneged on an off-the-record agreement during the trial and the judge imposed courtroom restrictions that violated his right to a public trial.

Judge Sid Harle sided with the defense on Aug. 19 and ordered that Collin County Judge John Roach Jr. be removed from the case. But days later, Judge Michael Chitty denied the defense’s motion for a new trial, attorneys for the defense and prosecution confirmed to USA TODAY.

Anthony’s legal team said in a statement to USA TODAY that they are “disappointed” in Chitty’s ruling but “not deterred.”

“We will continue to challenge Karmelo’s conviction and pursue every legal remedy available to him,” the attorneys said in a statement. “We will take these issues to the appellate courts and wherever else the law permits us to go because we believe deeply in Karmelo, in his constitutional rights and in the justice we are seeking on his behalf.”

Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis said prosecutors “respect, and expected the court’s decision denying the motion for a new trial.

“The jury’s guilty verdict stands, and we remain confident in the process,” Willis said in a statement. “Every defendant has the right to appeal, and our thoughts and prayers remain with the Metcalf family in the painful wake of last week’s hearing.”

Contributing: Mateo Rosiles, USA TODAY Network

Featured Weekly Ad

Original source: https://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Author

seoexperts1994@gmail.com

Related Posts

In

They turned 80 and decided to travel the world: ‘It really has been fun’

TRAVELAdventure TravelThey turned 80 and decided to travel the world: 'It really has been fun'Ellie Hamby and Sandy Hazelip, both in their...

Read out all
In

Why is the Border Patrol detaining immigrant truckers in Arizona? | Exclusive

NATIONTony BradleyWhy is the Border Patrol detaining immigrant truckers in Arizona? | Exclusive Daniel GonzalezArizona RepublicAug. 23, 2026, 6:03 a.m. ETThe Trump...

Read out all
In

‘Unworthy of trust’: Is Trump pushing the Justice Department too far?

POLITICSDonald Trump'Unworthy of trust': Is Trump pushing the Justice Department too far?DOJ follows 'law and the facts,' but judges are questioning the...

Read out all
In

Alex Jones gets Sandy Hook family’s Texas judgment reduced on appeal

NATIONTexasAlex Jones gets Sandy Hook family's Texas judgment reduced on appealJones, who filed for bankruptcy after being sued by parents of children...

Read out all
In

Teen accused of killing girlfriend; his mother is charged in coverup

NATIONHomicideTeen accused of killing girlfriend; his mother is charged in coverup Jeanine SantucciUSA TODAYAug. 22, 2026, 12:36 p.m. ETAn 18-year-old in Pennsylvania...

Read out all
In

1,260-pound blue marlin may set East Coast record

NATIONCape Cod1,260-pound blue marlin may set East Coast record Anthony ThompsonUSA TODAYAug. 22, 2026, 1:08 p.m. ETA Massachusetts charter fishing crew may...

Read out all