×
In

‘Re-Fyre Festival’: LA Jazz Festival called off just days before scheduled kickoff

“People are joking that this is L.A. Fyre Festival,” saxophonist Leah Concialdi said of the event, which was supposed to have big acts like John Legend and Janelle Monáe.
US-ENTERTAINMENT-MUSIC-JAZZ-FESTIVAL
A jazz quartet performs at the Los Angeles Jazz Festival ticket on-sale and headline artist announcement in Santa Monica, Calif., in April.Valerie Macon / AFP via Getty Images

The inaugural LA Jazz Festival — which promised music stars such as John Legend and Janelle Monáe performing across Los Angeles — was abruptly called off last week, leaving scores of artists and vendors seemingly out of luck and unable to recover upfront costs they had to invest.

The festival’s website simply said Monday, “updated info coming soon,” with no other details about the event, which was to have started Friday and run through Aug. 23.

Organizer Martin Ludlow, with Mayor Karen Bass at his side, announced details and sites of the massive event in June.

“Due to significant, unanticipated last-minute public safety and municipal costs associated with the final permitting of the On The Beach Festival, we have reached the decision to unfortunately postpone this year’s inaugural LA Jazz Festival,” Ludlow said in a statement Friday to City News Service.

“Although this decision was an extremely difficult one to reach, our commitment to the audiences and artists participating in the festival is to have a first-class experience worthy of the great legacy of Jazz and our great city,” he said.

Representatives for Ludlow and Bass, who faces a tough re-election bid in November, could not immediately be reached for comment on Monday.

Before the jazz debacle, Ludlow was best known as a former City Council member who pleaded guilty in 2006 to federal charges of conspiring to embezzle union funds for campaign costs.

“People are joking that this is the L.A. Fyre Festival,” Southern California saxophonist Leah Concialdi, 39, told NBC News on Monday, referring to the notorious 2017 festival-turned-fiasco. “It was an ambitious undertaking, but they should have started smaller and scaled up.”

The late cancellation left many artists and vendors on the hook for front-end expenses.

“Yeah, it’s a very bizarre timeline,” said Concialdi, who had been ready to debut her new group, Sacred Noise Unknown, at the festival.

“I mean, we are lucky because we are based in Los Angeles locally, so, you know, there were no flights and hotel costs incurred. But, you know, we’re still spending money on rehearsal spaces. We have a drummer who lives in the Bay Area who’s made arrangements to come and perform and rehearse with the group.”

Pianist and composer Bokani Dyer got word of the cancellation before he boarded his scheduled Thursday flight from South Africa to the U.S. — but he’ll still be out $3,000 for a nonrefundable ticket he bought for the event, said his manager, Sevi Spanoudi.

Dyer doesn’t believe he’ll be able to recover the lost money, Spanoudi said, adding that organizers hadn’t paid her client a deposit, which is typical for such performances.

“No deposit and no hope,” Spanoudi said in a text message. “There have made no attempts to answer emails and requests. It’s a hit and run.”

Chicago-based saxophonist Isaiah Collier estimated he’s out $10,000 following the cancellation and now gig-less trip to Los Angeles. He said he felt sympathy for the food vendors at festival sites who are stuck with perishable stock they won’t be able to sell.

“This was an event that was supposed to be about community engagement, and now we have community enragement,” said Collier, 28. “I mean, I may have lost my money, but I could only imagine the work it took [for food vendors] to set up all that stuff and you’re just outside waiting and all of a sudden you’re told, ‘Oh, by the way, this ain’t happening.’”

Collier added: “Basically, we can call this the re-Fyre Festival, I guess.”


Original source: https://www.nbcnews.com/health

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Author

seoexperts1994@gmail.com

Related Posts

In

Hayden Panettiere was with on-and-off boyfriend Brian Hickerson when she died, police report says

U.S. Hayden Panettiere was with on-and-off boyfriend Brian Hickerson when she died, police report says By Kerry Breen News Editor Kerry Breen...

Read out all
In

Frank Beard, ZZ Top drummer, dies at age 77

U.S. Frank Beard, ZZ Top drummer, dies at age 77 Updated on: August 18, 2026 / 5:37 PM EDT / CBS/AP Add...

Read out all
In

U.S. envoy in Turkey chastises Israel for “unnecessary escalation” with strikes on Syrian air base

World U.S. envoy in Turkey chastises Israel for "unnecessary escalation" with strikes on Syrian air base By Frank Andrews Frank Andrews is...

Read out all
In

32 years after American tourist Amy Lopez murdered in Germany, her alleged killer faces trial

Crime 32 years after American tourist Amy Lopez murdered in Germany, her alleged killer faces trial August 18, 2026 / 9:20 AM...

Read out all
In

Ukraine targets Moscow with huge drone strike as Russia warns U.K. will pay price for supplying attack drones

World Ukraine targets Moscow with huge drone strike as Russia warns U.K. will pay price for supplying attack drones By Aidan Stretch...

Read out all
In

USS Benfold, Navy destroyer, went days without power in the South China Sea

Politics USS Benfold, Navy destroyer, went days without power in the South China Sea By Charlie D'Agata Senior national security correspondent Charlie...

Read out all