×
In

4 Renaissance paintings stolen from museum in Italy

Four paintings of “extraordinary value” which date back to the Renaissance have been stolen from a museum late Saturday in Sicily, Italy.

Three panels of the San Gregorio Polyptych and a double-sided panel of The Madonna and Child, all attributed to Antonello da Messina dating back to the 15th century, were stolen from the Regional Interdisciplinary Museum of Messina, according to Italy’s Ministry of Culture.

The polyptych, which is a painting divided in various panels, was originally composed of at least five different sections and had been damaged after an earthquake in 1908. The painting of The Madonna and Child is listed in the Christie’s auctioneer website as having sold for more than $300,000 in 2003. 

Polyptych of St Gregory, by Antonello di Antonio known as Antonello da Messina, 15th Century, 1473 about, oil on panel, cm central panel 12976 cm, side panel each 12563, left upper panel 6562, right upper panel 6555.

Close-up of one of the panels in the Polyptych of St. Gregory painted by Antonello da Messina in 1473.

Mondadori Portfolio


Minister of Culture Alessandro Giuli expressed his “dismay and regret” at the theft and said the pieces had “extraordinary value for our cultural heritage.”

The mayor of Messina called the theft a “heinous criminal act,” and said he was “deeply outraged” by the act, in particular because it took place during the city’s traditional celebrations honoring the Virgin Mary.

“We hope that those responsible will be identified and that our artworks will be returned home,” Federico Basile said in a social media post. “Messina will not let its history be stolen.”

The theft comes just months after the Italian state bought a work called “Ecce Homo” by Antonello da Messina at a New York auction for nearly $15 million.


Original source: https://www.cbsnews.com/world/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Author

seoexperts1994@gmail.com

Related Posts

In

Ebola outbreak becomes Congo’s worst on record, with over 2,300 dead

Ebola outbreak becomes Congo’s worst on record, with over 2,300 deadThe outbreak is also Congo’s fastest-growing ever, according to government data ....

Read out all
In

This US airport ranked first for domestic flight deals

AIRLINE NEWSAir TravelThis US airport ranked first for domestic flight dealsA new Going analysis reveals which U.S. airports and airlines offer the...

Read out all
In

Hayden Panettiere death – What we know as police reveal new details

CELEBRITIESHayden PanettiereHayden Panettiere death – What we know as police reveal new details Sameen ChaudhryUSA TODAYAug. 17, 2026, 10:04 a.m. ETNew details...

Read out all
In

Trump alarms South Korea with call to scale back military drills and deference to Kim Jong Un

Trump alarms South Korea with call to scale back military drills and deference to Kim Jong Un“North Korea and China would be...

Read out all
In

Cristiano Ronaldo hints at retirement: ‘Probably my last year of football’

Cristiano Ronaldo hints at retirement: ‘Probably my last year of football’Ronaldo’s comments came days after longtime rival Lionel Messi revealed that, following...

Read out all
In

Second wave of fuel shortages at gas stations sweeps across Russia

Second wave of fuel shortages at gas stations sweeps across RussiaWitnesses reported on Monday that gasoline was once again unavailable at some...

Read out all