×
In


GOP Rep. Don Bacon says Congress “should have oversight” amid concerns about USS Lincoln conditions

Washington — GOP Rep. Don Bacon of Nebraska said on Sunday that Congress should conduct oversight following concerns about conditions aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, which is being replaced after a nearly nine-month deployment, while calling for testimony from top Navy officials.

“We should have oversight,” Bacon said on “Face the Nation with Margaret Brennan.”

The USS George Washington aircraft carrier is headed to the Middle East to replace the Lincoln, a U.S. official told CBS News on Friday, after some families have voiced concerns in recent weeks about conditions on the ship — like supply shortages and mental health issues. Media reports have quoted some family members who say they’ve heard of multiple sailors who have thought about jumping overboard amid the extended deployment.

Acting Secretary of the Navy Hung Cao said in a post on X on Friday that the Lincoln “will return home soon as part of a planned rotation.” Cao added that a “small number of mental health cases were treated with no loss of life.”

In a letter to Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth on Thursday, Democratic Sen. Richard Blumenthal called for the Navy to account for conditions aboard the carrier, which he said “has been deployed more than 250 days” without coming ashore “in over 200 days, setting a record for consecutive days at sea.”

Bacon, a retired Air Force Brigadier General who’s set to leave Congress early next year, said the secretary of the Navy or its service chief should come before lawmakers and “explain to us the truth on that.” But he noted that during his time in the Air Force, he experienced “some of these incidences.” 

The Nebraska Republican said in 1996, when the U.S. wasn’t at war, he served on an aircraft carrier, enforcing the southern no-fly zone over Iraq.

“We had a couple members jump overboard and commit suicide while I was on that deployment,” Bacon said. “So these incidences, they’re terrible, they’re sad, but it has happened previously and unfortunately, likely in the future as well.”

The comments came after President Trump on Friday downplayed the toll on American sailors, while refuting concerns expressed by family members about the deployment’s length.

Asked whether the deployment has gone on too long, Mr. Trump told reporters, “No. Not nearly long enough.”


Original source: https://www.cbsnews.com/world/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Author

seoexperts1994@gmail.com

Related Posts

In

U.S. tourist dies after being struck by lightning while hiking Sicily’s Mount Etna

U.S. tourist dies after being struck by lightning while hiking Sicily’s Mount EtnaThe 29-year-old man from Kansas was rescued by helicopter after...

Read out all
In

Two killed in high school shooting in southern Philippines, officials say

Two killed in high school shooting in southern Philippines, officials sayThe shooting in the city of Zamboanga, the country’s second such incident...

Read out all
In

Trump’s promised tariffs on Canada threaten higher inflation on both sides of the border.

Canada races to avoid new U.S. tariffs of up to 50%The duties would hit a wide swath of goods, including hockey sticks,...

Read out all
In

A detainee’s death revives Syria’s memories of torture and abuse in prisons

A detainee’s death revives Syria’s memories of torture and abuse in prisonsSyrians have taken to social media and the streets in recent...

Read out all
In

Penn State frat brothers charged with running cocaine trafficking ring

Local News Penn State frat brothers charged with running cocaine trafficking ring By Madeline Bartos Updated on: August 17, 2026 / 8:34...

Read out all
In

Inside the return of a Palestinian-American to home besieged by Israeli settlers in West Bank

Inside the return of a Palestinian-American to home besieged by Israeli settlers in West BankAn NBC News team on the ground in...

Read out all