- 0
- 576 words
Marcus Mariota injury update, return timeline for Commanders QB
Jacob Camenker
The Washington Commanders are going to have to navigate the remainder of the preseason without their backup quarterback Marcus Mariota.
Mariota was injured in the Commanders’ 20-7 preseason Week 1 win over the Miami Dolphins. The 32-year-old came up lame after a handoff to rookie running back Kaytron Allen on just the fourth offensive snap of the contest.
It wasn’t immediately clear how Mariota had been injured. He took a big hit on the previous play, a 22-yard completion to Dyami Brown, but didn’t leave the game until after his awkward hand-off to Allen.
Mariota received treatment on the field before making his way to the sideline. He was later seen walking to the locker room gingerly with a member of the athletic training staff.
Here’s what to know about Mariota’s injury and how long it will keep him out of action.
Marcus Mariota injury update
Commanders coach Dan Quinn told reporters on Sunday, Aug. 16, that Mariota would miss the remainder of the preseason because of a right MCL sprain.
Quinn did not provide additional details about the severity of Mariota’s injury but is hopeful the veteran won’t miss any regular-season action because of it.
“[We’re] optimistic that he’ll be ready for the start of the regular season,” Quinn said of Mariota.
How long is Marcus Mariota out?
Quinn’s optimism suggests the veteran will miss only a few weeks. The Commanders are set to play their Week 1 game against the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday, Sept. 13.
Who is Marcus Mariota’s backup?
Mariota is currently serving as Jayden Daniels‘ backup quarterback. If the 32-year-old veteran misses regular-season action because of his injury, either Sam Hartman or Athan Kaliakmanis would slot into the backup role behind Daniels.
Hartman, 27, has been with the Commanders since signing as an undrafted free agent in 2024. The Notre Dame product has never played a regular-season snap and has spent most of his career on the practice squad.
Meanwhile, Kaliakmanis is a rookie who the Commanders selected in the seventh round of the 2026 NFL Draft. The Rutgers product completed 62.2% of his passes for 3,124 yards, 20 touchdowns and seven interceptions during the 2025 college season.
Commanders QB depth chart
Below is a full breakdown of the Commanders’ QB depth chart, as listed by the team’s official website:
- Jayden Daniels
- Marcus Mariota
- Sam Hartman
- Athan Kaliakmanis
Best free agent QBs available
If Mariota’s absence lasts longer than expected and the Commanders decide they want to add a veteran to the fold, Jimmy Garoppolo stands out as the best option to target.
Garoppolo has a 43-21 career record across 64 career starts and has completed 67.4% of his passes for 15,828 yards, 96 touchdowns and 52 interceptions, good for a 97.6 passer rating.
Tim Boyle – who has a connection to Commanders offensive coordinator David Blough from their time with the Detroit Lions – and Trevor Siemian are among the other experienced backups available on the open market.
However, Quinn expressed that the Commanders are comfortable rolling with the quarterbacks they have even despite Mariota’s injury.
“We don’t anticipate anybody else coming in,” Quinn said, when asked about the possibility of adding another quarterback to the roster. “It’ll allow more reps over the next couple of weeks with Sam and Athan in that spot.”
Original source: https://www.usatoday.com/sports/

