×
In

32 years after American tourist Amy Lopez murdered in Germany, her alleged killer faces trial

An 81-year-old man admitted to sexually assaulting and killing an American tourist in Germany more than 30 years ago at the opening of his trial on Tuesday, German news agency dpa reported.

The defendant, whose name was not given in line with German privacy rules, admitted to killing 24-year-old Amy Lopez in 1994 in the western German city of Koblenz, the news agency reported.

Prosecutors accused him of “killing a person in a treacherous manner and for base motives in order to satisfy his sexual urges.”

The defense lawyer, Volker Klein, said during the session in the Koblenz district court that the defendant admitted fully to the crime. When the presiding judge, Rupert Stehlin, asked the defendant if that was true, the 81-year-old nodded and said “yes.”

The crime took place Sept. 26, 1994, when Amy Lopez was visiting Koblenz as a tourist.

amy-lopez-armkettchen.jpg

Amy Lopez

Polizei Rheinland-Pfalz


The prosecution accuses the man, who was 49 years old at the time, of luring her under false pretenses into a secluded room of the Ehrenbreitstein Fortress in Koblenz, where he then allegedly handcuffed her, sexually assaulted her and killed her with nine knife wounds to the chest area.

“The victim was strangled, struck on the head with a stone, and stabbed multiple times, ultimately resulting in his death,” the Koblenz Public Prosecutor’s Office said in a statement earlier this year.

The suspect allegedly also strangled Lopez with a belt when she tried to defend herself and shouted, dpa reported.

Children discovered her corpse, which was partially nude and bore severe head wounds, according to local authorities.

The cold case remained unsolved for decades until investigators analyzed old DNA traces using new methods, ultimately leading to a breakthrough.

Investigators re-examined Lopez’s clothing and about 1,600 samples were analyzed, the prosecutor’s office said. In 2024, 30 years after Lopez was found, police offered a 2,500 euro reward for information leading to an arrest after a male DNA trace was discovered.

More tips also came in after the case was featured on “Aktenzeichen XY,” a true crime program, according to the prosecutor’s office.

The man was arrested in late February at a nursing home in the Koblenz area and has been in pretrial detention since.

A total of eight trial days have been scheduled and a verdict is expected in September.

Volker Klein

Defense attorney Volker Klein makes a statement at the regional court in Koblenz, Germany, Aug. 18, 2026, during a recess in the murder trial of an 81-year-old man admitted to sexually abusing and killing an American tourist in Germany more than 30 years ago. 

Thomas Frey/dpa via AP



Original source: https://www.cbsnews.com/healthwatch/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Author

seoexperts1994@gmail.com

Related Posts

In

Hayden Panettiere was with on-and-off boyfriend Brian Hickerson when she died, police report says

U.S. Hayden Panettiere was with on-and-off boyfriend Brian Hickerson when she died, police report says By Kerry Breen News Editor Kerry Breen...

Read out all
In

Frank Beard, ZZ Top drummer, dies at age 77

U.S. Frank Beard, ZZ Top drummer, dies at age 77 Updated on: August 18, 2026 / 5:37 PM EDT / CBS/AP Add...

Read out all
In

U.S. envoy in Turkey chastises Israel for “unnecessary escalation” with strikes on Syrian air base

World U.S. envoy in Turkey chastises Israel for "unnecessary escalation" with strikes on Syrian air base By Frank Andrews Frank Andrews is...

Read out all
In

Ukraine targets Moscow with huge drone strike as Russia warns U.K. will pay price for supplying attack drones

World Ukraine targets Moscow with huge drone strike as Russia warns U.K. will pay price for supplying attack drones By Aidan Stretch...

Read out all
In

USS Benfold, Navy destroyer, went days without power in the South China Sea

Politics USS Benfold, Navy destroyer, went days without power in the South China Sea By Charlie D'Agata Senior national security correspondent Charlie...

Read out all
In

Former DOJ lawyer alleges Trump administration abused investigative process to target Harvard, Brown and Columbia

Politics Former DOJ lawyer alleges Trump administration abused investigative process to target Harvard, Brown and Columbia By Sarah N. Lynch Senior Justice...

Read out all