×
In
Donald Trump

Trump says no talks taking place with Iran, leaving war in stalemate

Updated Aug. 18, 2026, 3:27 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump said on Aug. 18 that that no talks of any kind are taking place with Iran, effectively leaving the unpopular conflict that’s closing in on its six-month mark in a stalemate.

Trump in a Truth Social post said the United States’ naval blockade of Iranian ports remains in effect and that mines in the Strait of Hormuz had been removed or detonated.

“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating,” Trump stated.

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks as he hosts 16-year-old lifeguard Ryder Williams, who saved a child off the coast of Santa Cruz, California, last month, Nathaniel Rai, the child saved by Williams, and Nathaniel's family members in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington, D.C., U.S., August 17, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper

The president indicated to reporters a day before, on Aug. 17, that he would let a June memorandum of understanding between the two countries that established a ceasefire and a framework for negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program lapse.

“Right now, they’re not showing any interest in doing something that makes sense for us,” Trump negotiator Jared Kushner told Fox News of a potential agreement earlier in the day. “They have to be willing to make a real deal.”

Iran also said no peace talks are taking place and called on the United States to extricate itself from the war.

“They have trapped themselves in a quagmire and, in order to justify their failures, they are forced to change their objectives,” Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said on Aug. 17, according to state news agency Tasnim.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent pledged that the United States would continue its blockade and previewed new economic punishments for Iran during an Aug. 13 interview with Newsmax, as America dug in its heels to the conflict that’s increasingly roiled members of Trump’s political party over elevated gas prices and cost of living increases.

“Watch this space for more announcements coming next week because we are going to apply measures like have never been seen in the history of the economic isolation of a country,” Bessent said.

The U.S. military said it can maintain its blockade “indefinitely” and has sent the USS George Washington to relieve the USS Abraham Lincoln in the Middle East amid reports of deteriorating living conditions for service members, who’d been at sea for nearly nine months.

“Indefinitely, the United States Navy can maintain a blockade like that because we’ll rotate ships in and out, as we have, and we’ll continue to,” Pentagon chief Pete Hegseth said on Aug. 13.

Featured Weekly Ad

Original source: https://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Author

seoexperts1994@gmail.com

Related Posts

In

Primaries: Mixed bag for democratic socialists, Trump-backed candidates

ELECTIONSPrimary ElectionsPrimaries: Mixed bag for democratic socialists, Trump-backed candidatesPhillip M. Bailey Sarah D. Wire Terry Collins James Powel Jay Stahl Emily R....

Read out all
In

Socialist candidates’ mixed results in Florida primaries: 5 takeaways

ELECTIONSRichard NixonSocialist candidates' mixed results in Florida primaries: 5 takeawaysThe progressive legislator beat a better-funded rival, but two other democratic socialists lost...

Read out all
In

2 workers dead after explosions, fire at Ohio recycling building

NATIONToledo, OH2 workers dead after explosions, fire at Ohio recycling building Thao NguyenUSA TODAYAug. 18, 2026, 9:45 p.m. ETTwo workers were killed...

Read out all
In

Why Gen Z turns to parents over influencers for answers on faith

NATIONGeneration ZWhy Gen Z turns to parents over influencers for answers on faith Marc RamirezUSA TODAYUpdated Aug. 18, 2026, 12:08 p.m. ETParents...

Read out all
In

Suspect in ‘Chucky doll’-style mask accused of terrorizing people

CRIMEPhiladelphia, PASuspect in 'Chucky doll'-style mask accused of terrorizing people Jeanine SantucciUSA TODAYAug. 18, 2026, 1:11 p.m. ETPolice in Philadelphia are searching...

Read out all
In

Tennessee commissioner sparks outrage with Flock CEO remark

More VideosThe DNC primary decision that could decide the 2028 raceHow progressives can actually win South CarolinaBill Gates is building a nuclear...

Read out all