×
In

Court convicts 2 organizers of Hong Kong’s Tiananmen vigils in national security case

Lee Cheuk-yan and Chow Hang-tung, whose commemorations of China’s 1989 crackdown drew tens of thousands of people each year, had pleaded not guilty to inciting subversion.
Chow Hang-tung
Chow Hang-tung, a barrister and former organizer of Hong Kong’s annual vigils for victims of the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown, defended herself against national security charges.Anthony Kwan / Getty Images file

HONG KONG — Two former organizers of Hong Kong’s decades-old vigil in remembrance of the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown were convicted Friday in a national security case brought under a China-imposed law that has effectively crushed the Chinese territory’s previously thriving pro-democracy movement.

Lee Cheuk-yan and Chow Hang-tung, former leaders of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China, were charged in 2021 with inciting subversion under the national security law. They had both pleaded not guilty and face a maximum prison term of 10 years. The alliance was also found guilty.

The verdict is among the latest involving Hong Kong’s once-vibrant pro-democracy movement, which has largely been dismantled by Hong Kong and Chinese authorities.

Pro-democracy activist Lee Cheuk-yan holds candles as he speaks
Pro-democracy activist Lee Cheuk-yan speaking ahead of the annual candlelight vigil in Hong Kong on June 4, 2020.Anthony Kwan / Getty Images file

For three decades, the candlelight vigil organized by the alliance was the only large-scale public commemoration of the Tiananmen Square crackdown on Chinese territory, drawing tens of thousands of people annually. The event was banned in 2020 during the first year of the Covid-19 pandemic, weeks before Beijing imposed the security law on Hong Kong to quell the 2019 massive anti-government protests.

Observers say their trial symbolizes the erosion of freedom of expression in the former British colony, which returned to Chinese rule in 1997.

Pro-democracy activist and former lawmaker Lee Cheuk-yan makes a gesture with his cuffed hands.
Lee, above, and Chow have both been imprisoned since they were charged in 2021.Anthony Kwan / Getty Images file

Lee, 69, and Chow, 41, are expected to be sentenced at a later date.

The judges have not read out the reasons behind the conviction, saying the full judgment would be available online later.

Eric Lai, a senior fellow with the Georgetown Center for Asian Law, said the charge of inciting subversion was commonly used in mainland China to criminalize the acts of human rights lawyers, activists and intellectuals, including the late Nobel Peace laureate Liu Xiaobo.

“We can see to what extent the court in Hong Kong falls into the level of the party-led judiciary in the mainland through the criminal verdict,” he said.

Police officers stand as people enter the West Kowloon Magistrates' Courts.
There was a heavy security presence at the court in Hong Kong on Friday ahead of the verdict in Lee and Chow’s trial.Leung Man Hei / AFP via Getty Images

During the trial, prosecutors said the case was not political and focused on what they viewed as a call by the alliance to incite others to overthrow the leadership of China’s ruling Communist Party through unlawful means, pointing to “ending one-party rule,” one of the group’s core demands.

But Lee told the court that the call was not about ending the party’s leadership but about moving toward democracy, letting the people decide who leads them, and that the Communist Party should not enforce “dictatorship.”

Chow, a barrister who defended herself, said “ending one-party rule” means ending a state where power is unrestricted. She criticized how the standard for determining right and wrong was turned upside down in this case.

In her Patreon post Thursday, she recalled being shackled in handcuffs, and in waist and ankle chains, for trips to court from prison, saying she was walked by correctional service officers “like a dog.”

“Justice lives in the hearts of the people. There is no need to look up to this kind of top-down ruling, and one verdict doesn’t matter much,” she said.

The trial, initially scheduled for 75 days, moved faster than expected and concluded its closing statements on the 24th day. When it began in January, Albert Ho, another defendant in the case, entered a guilty plea, a move that typically could result in a reduced sentence.

Lee and Chow are expected to plead for lesser penalties at a separate hearing and could be sentenced alongside Ho.

Dozens of people lined up outside the court under drizzling rain ahead of the hearing.

People wait outside the West Kowloon Magistrates' Courts
Members of the public lined up hours ahead of the verdict Friday to secure seats in the courtroom.Leung Man Hei / AFP via Getty Images

Tang Ngok-kwan, a former alliance member, said police would not let him join the line if he insisted on bringing along “sensitive” materials, including bookmarks printed with “vindicate June 4.” The date is the crackdown’s anniversary. He decided not to go into the court.

Tang said a guilty verdict for the alliance would “upend his understanding” of the city’s laws.

Former vigil-goer Margaret Chan, who joined the line at 6 a.m., said the alliance’s name carried the word “patriotic.”

“Everyone is patriotic. How to incite? Incite others to be patriotic?” she said.

Hundreds of people, and possibly thousands, were killed in the 1989 crackdown as military tanks rolled into the center of Beijing. The crackdown was a pivotal moment in China’s modern history, determining that the market reform that transformed the country into the world’s second-largest economy would not be coupled with political liberalization.

Since the Covid-19 restrictions were lifted, the former vigil site in Hong Kong has instead been occupied around the Tiananmen anniversary by a carnival organized by pro-Beijing groups.

Beijing said the 2020 security law was necessary for the city’s stability. Many leading activists were jailed under the same law, including pro-democracy former media tycoon Jimmy Lai. Under the drastic political changes, dozens of civil society groups also dissolved, including the alliance.


Original source: https://www.nbcnews.com/world

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Author

seoexperts1994@gmail.com

Related Posts

In

First group of deportees arrives in troubled Haiti after U.S. ends TPS program

First group of deportees arrives in troubled Haiti after U.S. ends TPS programActivists say Haiti is too dangerous and doesn’t have enough...

Read out all
In

U.S. carries out its first deportations under pact for Liberia to accept 1,200 non-Liberians

U.S. carries out its first deportations under pact for Liberia to accept 1,200 non-LiberiansThe 20 deportees arrived in the West African country...

Read out all
In

Boat capsizes in northwestern Nigeria, leaving dozens of people dead

Boat capsizes in northwestern Nigeria, leaving dozens of people deadThe boat was carrying more than 80 people, most of whom were heading...

Read out all
In

Express train hits and kills 4 workers at a railway station in Japan

Express train hits and kills 4 workers at a railway station in JapanThe accident occurred at Shin-Kanuma Station, north of Tokyo, on...

Read out all
In

USS Lincoln heads home after extended deployment to the Middle East

USS Lincoln heads home after extended deployment to the Middle EastService members and their families had complained about deteriorating morale on the...

Read out all
In

Dan Green wins crowded GOP primary in Florida’s 9th District

Politics Dan Green wins crowded GOP primary in Florida's 9th District By Caitlin Yilek Politics Reporter Caitlin Yilek is a politics reporter...

Read out all