×
In


U.S., South Korea cut short their joint military drills at Trump’s direction

The South Korean and U.S. militaries have agreed to shorten their drills at the United States’ request, officials for both nations acknowledged Wednesday, days after President Trump ordered cuts to the exercises.

The allies’ summertime Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises began Monday morning for an 11-day run, just after Mr. Trump ordered they be scaled back. Mr. Trump cited what he said was a good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korea’s refusal to join the U.S. war against Iran.

A Defense Department official told CBS News in a statement Tuesday evening that, at the direction of Mr. Trump and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, the joint drills had been “substantially reduced” and would end Friday, one week earlier than had been originally scheduled.

“Associated live-training events have been reduced, with certain events canceled or converted to simulations,” the official said. “These adjustments preserve essential readiness and training objectives. There will be no degradation to U.S. training objectives.”

South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff confirmed in a separate statement the reduced timeline came at the request of the U.S. It said the allies also agreed to downsize some joint field training exercises.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff added that, going forward, the two nations would “discuss and implement various measures aimed at achieving the objectives of the UFS exercise and establishing a combined defense posture.” 

Many experts say Mr. Trump’s move threatens to hurt combined U.S.-South Korean readiness and eventually weaken their decades-long alliance.

Ulchi Freedom Shield is largely a computer-simulated command post exercise meant to hone the allies’ ability to deal with potential regional security threats like North Korean aggression. The two countries usually hold field training exercises during the command post exercise period.

The drills and a similar springtime exercise are a central pillar of the U.S.-South Korea alliance, which dates to the 1950-53 Korean War. But they’re also a long-running source of tensions with North Korea, which has denounced the exercises as a rehearsal for war and responded with provocative missile tests.

North Korea hasn’t responded to Mr. Trump’s overture. But earlier Wednesday, its state news agency, KCNA, published commentary slamming the U.S.-South Korean military drills as “frantic” and “extremely dangerous” and vowing to completely frustrate its rivals’ hostilities.

Experts said North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, now emboldened by his advancing nuclear program and expanding military cooperation, won’t likely embrace Mr. Trump’s overture anytime soon unless he’s promised bigger concessions. In response to Mr. Trump’s previous outreach, Kim suggested last year that he can return to talks only after the U.S. drops its demand of a North Korean denuclearization as a precondition for diplomacy.

Mr. Trump and Kim met three times from 2018-2019 but their high-stakes diplomacy eventually fell apart over wrangling over a North Korean demand for extensive sanctions relief in return for limited denuclearization steps.


Original source: https://www.cbsnews.com/world/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Author

seoexperts1994@gmail.com

Related Posts

In

Lebanon extradites ex-Assad general to Syria for trial over alleged crimes

Lebanon extradites ex-Assad general to Syria for trial over alleged crimesAfter Syrian fighters opposed to Assad marched into Damascus to end the...

Read out all
In

2 members of Tennessee college cycling team killed in highway collision, officials say

U.S. 2 members of Tennessee college cycling team killed in highway collision, officials say By Faris Tanyos News Editor Faris Tanyos is...

Read out all
In

FDA upgrades recall of frozen blueberries sold at Publix to highest health risk level

MoneyWatch FDA upgrades recall of frozen blueberries sold at Publix to highest health risk level By Megan Cerullo Reporter, MoneyWatch Megan Cerullo...

Read out all
In

She’s lived through unimaginable grief. Her advice: “Reach for the joy.”

Healthful with Norah O'Donnell She's lived through unimaginable grief. Her advice: "Reach for the joy." By Norah O'Donnell Senior Correspondent; Contributing Correspondent,...

Read out all
In

Michael Cohen, Trump’s fixer-turned-nemesis, says he’ll interview former boss

Politics Michael Cohen, Trump's fixer-turned-nemesis, says he'll interview former boss By Graham Kates Reporter Graham Kates is an investigative reporter covering criminal...

Read out all
In

NASA’s Swift telescope will plunge toward Earth after rescue mission called off

U.S. NASA's Swift telescope will plunge toward Earth after rescue mission called off August 19, 2026 / 5:41 PM EDT / CBS/AP...

Read out all