- 0
- 535 words
What Ketel Marte’s agent said about his Diamondbacks return
Two days into one of the strangest absences of the season, someone in Ketel Marte‘s camp finally spoke up.
His agent, Charisse Espinosa-Dash, told MLB Network’s Jon Morosi on Wednesday, Aug.19 that the Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman is dealing with a personal matter and will have an MRI on his knee on Thursday, Aug. 20. She said Marte appreciates the “unwavering support” he’s gotten from fans, teammates, the organization and manager Torey Lovullo, and wants to get back on the field.
It was the first public word from Marte’s side since he didn’t show up at Fenway Park on Monday, Aug. 17 and was placed on the restricted list. It also didn’t explain much. A knee injury and a personal matter comingled with no indication of what they have to do with each other. It also did not address Monday’s absence.
It cleared up very little about Marte’s status and potential return to the team.
Marte was in Monday’s lineup as the designated hitter. The Diamondbacks held the lineup card until roughly 20 minutes before the first pitch hoping he would turn up, according to MLB.com. Then they placed Marte on the restricted list and recalled Jose Fernandez from Triple-A to cover themselves.
Speaking to the Arizona Republic, which is part of the USA TODAY Network, general manager Mike Hazen said that Marte was still in Boston and that there was no indication when he would return to the team. Hazen later told the Wolf and Luke radio show that he hoped to meet with Marte face to face on Thursday.
Lovullo got emotional talking about it after an 11-1 loss. He said he had reached out to Marte twice that day and heard almost nothing.
“There was very little coming back,” Lovullo told reporters.
Marte came out of an Aug. 14 game in Atlanta with left knee soreness and sat out the next day before returning to the lineup Aug. 16.
This is the second straight season Arizona has placed Marte on the restricted list. Last July it followed a burglary at his Phoenix-area home during the All-Star break. He apologized publicly after reports that teammates had been frustrated by the absence.
Arizona has shopped Marte a few times. Last offseason, they had a high asking price before pulling him off the market in January. He reached 10-and-5 rights in April, which gave him a full no-trade clause. In July, USA TODAY reported Marte was expected to veto any deal and that the Diamondbacks had told other clubs that.
The Diamondbacks are 66-61 after dropping the first two games in Boston, two behind San Diego for the last National League wild card. They close the series Wednesday afternoon and open a six-game homestand Friday against Cincinnati.
Lovullo told reporters he is still hopeful Marte plays again this season. “We need him.”
If you purchase through our links, the USA Today Network may earn a commission. Prices were accurate at the time of publication but may change.
Original source: https://www.usatoday.com/sports/
