×
In
FIFA

FIFA executive departs after scathing criticism of Infantino

Portrait of Seth Vertelney Seth Vertelney

USA TODAY
Aug. 17, 2026, 3:53 p.m. ET

Kevin Lamour, the FIFA chief operating officer who openly criticized president Gianni Infantino, has left soccer’s global governing body.

“FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA’s Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026,” FIFA said in a statement to USA TODAY Sports.

“FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future. No further comment will be made on the matter.”

Though FIFA didn’t indicate whether Lamour was fired or resigned, both The Times and Sky News reported that Lamour had indeed been fired.

Infantino has been under intense criticism the last several weeks for his proposal to sell off a stake in FIFA’s operation to private investors.

The president was forced to scrap his controversial plan amid an outcry from fans, member associations, confederations and even within FIFA itself.

Lamour was among the FIFA contingency to publicly distance themselves from the proposal, which he did in an extraordinary statement to the AP at the end of July.

According to Lamour, the plan was “the project of one person.”

He added: “Not only must this project not go ahead… but the time has now come for football political leaders to ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions.”

Lamour said that he knew his outspokenness could cost him his job.

“If that means I lose my job, then so be it,” he added. “I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.”

Lamour and Infantino have a longstanding relationship, having previously worked together during their time at UEFA.

The Frenchman’s exit follows former U.S. Soccer president Carlos Cordeiro, who was a senior adviser for Infantino before he quit last month due to the proposal.

“I cannot stand by while FIFA considers selling a stake in the World Cup,” Cordeiro said. “Let me be clear. I had no involvement in this proposal, and I oppose it unequivocally.”

Featured Weekly Ad

Original source: https://www.usatoday.com/sports/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Author

seoexperts1994@gmail.com

Related Posts

In

Can NFL preseason Week 1 losers turn it around? Outlooks for Shedeur Sanders, Tua Tagovailoa, Quinn Ewers

The preseason is just that: before anything really counts. As Aaron Rodgers said last week, "It's not real football."And that may be...

Read out all
In

Si Woo Kim discusses his consistency during 2026 PGA Tour season and what two accomplishments are missing

One of the most electric personalities and personas on the PGA Tour has harnessed his energy for good in 2026. Si Woo...

Read out all
In

A fan-favorite pumpkin spice bagel is finally back after 7 years

FOODPumpkin SpiceA fan-favorite pumpkin spice bagel is finally back after 7 yearsThe seasonal bagel combines pumpkin spice-inspired flavors with 10 grams of...

Read out all
In

Jonas Brothers announce 45-date 2026 North American tour, get tickets

CONCERT TICKETSJonas BrothersJonas Brothers announce 45-date 2026 North American tour, get tickets Jessica MooreUSA TODAYUpdated Aug. 17, 2026, 2:14 p.m. ETThe Jonas...

Read out all
In

LIV Golf cancels Michigan team championship amid fears tour could fold

GOLFLIV GolfLIV Golf cancels Michigan team championship amid fears tour could fold Mark GiannottoUSA TODAYAug. 17, 2026, 3:52 p.m. ETLIV Golf has...

Read out all
In

Texas high school football coach, wife killed in crash days before 2026 season

FOOTBALLHigh School FootballTexas high school football coach, wife killed in crash days before 2026 season Alex MartinUSA TODAYAug. 17, 2026, 1:59 p.m....

Read out all